Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Storyboards: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, part 5

Okay, I got busy teaching and have neglected this blog for far too long. Now that I'm catching up on my work, I can take time to correct the situation.
Here's the first part of Board 2 of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.


Again, the clean sharp line, just enough detail in the background, a concept I have issues with in my own work. I quibble with the definition of shot 9. Yes, it is an OTS shot, but I don't see that as its primary function.
Look what's happening here. The primary point of the shot is that the character moves but the camera does not. I would define this as a group shot, or by distance, a MLS, also known as a Cowboy shot (cowboys were shown from the waist up in TV shooting because they couldn't ride and were sitting on a saddle over a barrel).
I like the warmth of the French gray markers.
Students who lacked experience with hand skill based art would ask me constantly if they could do their storyboards digitally. Once, I relented, and the results were awful. For this kind of work, especially at this level, the best ways of working are either all hand work or a hybrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment